Palace of Serbia
The Palace of Serbia, also known as the building of the Federal Executive Council (Savezno izvršno veće – SIV 1) and the Palace of the Federation is located on New Belgrade, at the intersection of the boulevards of Mihailo Pupin and Nikola Tesla.
It was built in 1959 for the federal government of the time, also known as the Federal Executive Council. It was the seat of the government of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia between 1991 and 2003 and the seat of the Council of Ministers of the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro between 2003 and 2006. Following the dissolution of Serbian and Montenegro in May 2006, the building was turned over to the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
The construction of the Palace, as one of the first buildings on New Belgrade, began in June 1947. The building was built on packed and sandy ground by youth work brigades from across Yugoslavia. A four-person team of Zagreb architects won the competition, headed by Vladimir Potočnjak (Anton Urlih, Zlatko Nojman, Dragica Perak). Following the death of Potočnjak in 1952 construction was halted, only to be continued in 1956 by the architect Mihailo Janković with considerable alterations to the initial plan, by the introduction of new elements.
It was planned to stand in the shape of the letter “H” and encompass a surface area of 5,500 m² at its base. A lower section lies beneath the central wing, covered with a glass dome and housing the Ceremonial Hall with capacities for 2,000 guests. The facility contains six salons and approximately a thousand office rooms.
It was built using a skeletal structure of armoured-concrete filled with bricks. The façade of the building is lined with white marble from Brač, while the openings were made of white metal. As of 1961, when the First Conference of the Non-aligned Countries was held, the Palace of the Federation received numerous foreign statespersons and delegations.